Mar 9, 2009

Back in the saddle


Today's my first day back in my routine after spending about 3 days visiting my parents and sister on Long Island.
I'm exhausted today. I took the last possible flight back to Texas last night which got me home after midnight. The flight was crowded and hot and my shoulder provided a wonderful pillow for the portly Indian gentleman sitting next to me who kept falling asleep on it.
I did toy with the idea of being "sick" today just to have some time to catch up but after a couple of days out and considering the state of employment nationwide, i dragged my tired backside to the office.
Had a great time with the family. Always do. Really enjoyed hanging out with Jace my 8 year old nephew who i'm told acts a lot like me at his age. I just wish i had his energy!
The thing that struck me as strange about this trip to the place which is as close to "home" as i could claim, is that for some reason it didn't feel like it. Sure there's a familiarity and comfort being around loved ones but when it came to the actual place I felt like a visitor. The people's accent's sounded funny, the houses looked odd, the roads and scenery felt nothing more than familiar and it generally feel didn't feel like a place i called home for some 14 years. I attended my Dad's church on Sunday morning and a lot of people said it was good to see me home and it felt weird. Seriously weird.
Now i know it takes time to adjust to living somewhere but does there actually come a point when the switch happens? I got back to Dallas last night and listened to the Southern drawls of people waiting for luggage. I walked out of the airport as 2 cab drivers were getting ito a verbal sparring match and was surprised by it (commonplace in NY!). I drove on the light gray, non blacktop roads of the highway and looked at the lights of homes i could see for miles around me in the wide open, flat spaces of Texas. And it felt familiar, in a good way and safe and almost like....home. Weird.
On another note i also encountered several people on Sunday morning who read this drivel. So apologies for my brutal honesty regarding certains topics in my life currently.....or not!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment