Mar 26, 2009

In the name of fashion

This September will mark 14 glorious years I've spent working in various areas of the "fashion" industry (quotations added because my involvement has hardly been of the design studio in Milan variety, more the buy one get one free variety).


Currently deadlines are creeping ever closer and work is approaching fever pitch for our Spring 2010 line. In those 14 years it has never ceased to amaze me just how much people freak out over $7.99 tee shirts and 2 for $14.99 pajamas.


I've always been someone who took great pride in my work and did the absolute best job i could wherever i found myself. But in a time when the world appears to be headed to a really weird and dark place and families are finding themselves helpless and homeless on a daily basis, i can't help but chuckle (in a sad, pathetic sort of way) when i spend my days listening to people have meltdowns over shades of pink. I mean really, is this making the world a better place? Are we finding the cures to age old killer diseases? Nope.


The irony is that because of the current economic climate, the reason the creative elite are really concerned about being blamed for getting that shade of pink wrong is that they don't want to become one of the helpless and homeless. This leads to tense workplace relationships (in place of true teamwork), coworkers trying to outshine one another (rather than helping one another to shine) and an environment where no one really cares who they step on to show that they truly are an asset to the company.


I find it all a bit sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment