Feb 13, 2009

Boys and their Toys

Having taken advantage of one of the 10 "Flex" (half day) Fridays which JCP offers their employees per year, i've been sitting at my computer at home catching up on so bits and pieces.

My desk faces a window and i've become quite fascinated with what's going on at one of the fancy apartments with an attached garage across the way.

A guy who looks younger than me, who's obviously "flexing" today too has spent hours cleaning a fleet of vehicles. Now it may be the case that this particular resident has opened up an car detailing service from his home and i was the last to know. However it seems a lot more likely that this man has a lot of toys.

In the last couple of hours i have seen a very large, black, huge wheeled Ford pick up truck being buffed. I've seen a sporty black Ford Mustang being polished. I've seen a white Jeep Wrangler getting the treatment. Oh and a motorcycle and quad have also made appearances!

Do you need all that stuff?!

Now as someone who drives a "sports" car i do tread this path carefully but it is a sports car, not 3 of them.

And i will confess that I've been terribly guilty in the last 14 years, since i've been earning a regular paycheck, of flirting with the attitude that i must have shiny, sparkly things to show for my labours.

(By the way he's now revving the big truck very loudly, i guess not enough people have noticed his assets yet.)

Thing is at my ripe old age, and in my delightful situation, i'm just beginning to learn that "stuff" doesn't really matter a heck of a lot, in fact it can create a lot of problems. Yes you can still learn things in your 30's. What matters most in life  are things like honor, respect, the love of your children, honesty, justice, generosity and the list could go on and on.

When i leave this planet the sum total of the accumulated things which i can bring with me is zero. And even if i leave them behind for others they'll eventually rust and decay. But there are certain things i can leave behind with others, especially my children, which are timeless and can be passed on from person to person indefinitely without losing their value.

Think someone once wrote a book with a lot of this stuff in it....

So the next time you see me trying to have stuff for the sake of having stuff. Do me a favor.

Slap me.


No comments:

Post a Comment